About UNT Career Connect
UNT Career Connect will engage students through action-based experiential learning in the context of communities - public or private sector - in order to develop communication, teamwork, and critical thinking skills.
UNT Career Connect will use an e-portfolio system that allows students to collect, connect and showcase the evidence of learning from their curricular and co-curricular experiences that build these skills. The e-portfolio selection and implementation will begin in spring/summer 2016.
Connect can be achieved in a variety of ways, meaning students can take advantage of the experiences that best suit their needs and faculty or staff can incorporate UNT Career Connect in their classroom in a variety of ways, including:
|Class internships||Non-credit internships||Study Abroad|
|Service learning projects||Capstone experiences, courses, and projects||Course projects|
|Volunteer projects||Co-curricular activities, such as student groups||Research endeavors|
|Student employment||Virtual collaboration||Creative endeavors|
- Must have a community partner. Community partners make the experience real. Community is usually thought of as external to UNT, but there are internal UNT communities that can also replicate real-world experiences (student newspaper, lab band, student employment, etc.).
- Must include at least one of the three student learning outcomes – Communication, Teamwork, and Critical Thinking – which are essential skills students can develop in a variety of settings.
- Must be reciprocal. Mutual benefit occurs when the student and the community partner can demonstrate the benefits of the activity. Reciprocal benefit cements the investment of both parties.
- Must have an outcome or product to ensure the validity of the activity and express the benefit to all parties. Career Connect activities will be observed or reviewed to provide valid and reliable assessment of student learning outcomes – demonstrating the skills of student to themselves, instructors, and potential employers, and providing feedback for improvements to all involved.
- Will use increasingly sophisticated e-portfolio technologies that will weave connections between and among the action based experiential learning that happens with each student. E-portfolios allow students (and the institution) to organize and display the valid evidence of learning.